"What dates?" I called back from the front room, whilst surreptitiously munching on a delicious fairtrade ginger biscuit and pondering on the possibility of spending a week in a bath full of fairtrade muesli for charity. "You mean the oblong fleshy fruits of the date palm? Are they on special offer then at the Mustard Seed?"
"No - dates. You know - DATES. The dates during Fairtrade Fortnight!"
"Ah yes - right!" I called back - trying to disguise the mouthful of biscuit - "Dates? - Like going out on dates - and dating sites? To meet other fairtrade supporters you mean?" . It sounded bonkers to me. I pondered on whether the bath full of muesli would be better dry - or with milk .
"NO - DATES. Diary Dates!" she called out - volume and pitch both significantly up. "Like the Fairtrade market stall next Tuesday! 1st March - that kind of date!"
It was probably better dry - because then you could simply put it back in the packets again afterwards and sell it. Maybe at a discount. And the milk would probably go off anyway. And - what was that Karen was saying about dairy dates?
At this point Karen marched in and thrust a sheet of paper into my biscuit hand, dragging me out of my milky reveries. "Look - just type this in and send it off" .
"OK ". I put the rest of the biscuit in my mouth.
- Tuesday 1st March: Fairtrade Market Stall at Farmers Market. 9am-1pm . A couple of volunteer still needed. Can you help perhaps? Call 241707
- Thursday 3rd March: Meeting with Palestinian Farmers - Fairtrade olive producers . 7.30pm - Catholic Church. All welcome - should be very interesting!
- Saturday 5th March: Fairtrade Bunting World Record Attempt! 9.30-11.30am under Old Town Hall. Come & Decorate your own bunting flag!
- Saturday 5th March: Fairtrade Sale at the Shrivenham Methodist Church Coffee Shop. 10-11.30am . All welcome.
- Sunday 6th March: Fairtrade Sale & Big Brew Hot drinks in the Catholic Church Hall in Faringdon. 10am-11am . All welcome .
- Sunday 6th March: Fairtrade Sale at St Nicholas Fyfield. 10.30am (after village service) . All welcome.
- Tuesday 8th March: Fairtrade Pancake Feast at the Shrivenham Methodist Church. 10am-12midday . All welcome.
- Sunday 13th March: Fairtrade Sale at St Mary's Buckland - after the Morning Service. All welcome.
- Saturday 19th March: Fairtrade Sale at St Denys' Stanford in the Vale. 10am-12midday. All welcome.
"Gosh - what a lot going on!" I commented - noting that there would be lots of milk required for the Pancake feast. "Can you cope yeah ?"
"Cornucopia? Hmmm" ... Karen mused - "Interesting choice of word. A cornucopia of fairtrade events ..."
And I was thinking of Nomads in the desert getting all of their dietary requirements just from milk & dates.
Dairy dates indeed.
P.S. Look out for the discounted muesli in the Mustard Seed in the Spring .